AKC Member Club Sammamish Kennel Club, Inc.
About Us Contact Services
 

 

 

Kennel Club Web Ring
Powered by Ringsurf

 

 

Watch for Toxins in Your Spring Garden

June 2010 Barker

     
 

Due to their natural curiosity, their love of digging, and their tendency to consume anything they come across, dogs are at a high risk for accidental poisoning. This can be particularly true in spring, as front gardens and backyards come to life with new growth, and as dogs and their owners spend more time outdoors.

Toxic bulbs, plants and flowers include tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, certain lilies, crocus, and lily of the valley.

Harmful fertilizers and ground cover include cocoa mulch, blood meal, bone meal, and any fertilizer containing disulfoton or organophosphates.

Store all poisonous substances in your home, garage, and yard out of reach of your curious canine, and block access to potentially harmful bulbs and flowers. If you suspect your dog has ingested a poison, call your veterinarian at once; or dial the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.

DO YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE IN YOUR YARD?

Agave– Century Plant-Aloe
Chinese Evergreen, Painted drop Tongue
Canabis– Marijuana
Cherry Pepper-Chili, Capsicum
Fox Glove
Dracaena-Dragon Tree
Lily of the Valley
Autumn Crocus [meadow saffron]
Spider Plant
Angel wings
Poinsettia
Easter Lily
Avocado or Alligator pear
Hyacinths
Cyclamen
Philodendron
English Ivy
Azalea and Rhododendron
Mistltoe
Dogbanes
Jerusalem Cherry
Onions, both cultivated and wild
Laurel
Oleander
Yew
Sorghum
Tanzy

 

 

 
     
More from The Barker
President's Letter Minutes of the Last Meeting
• B-OB Match • Designer Dogs That Didn't Make It
     
     

 

© 2003 - 2005 - Sammamish Kennel Club - All Rights Reserved